rescrewing sockets a pain!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just unscrewed some electrical sockets and unwired them to fit some plate covers behind to hide tile gaps.

Now i am having massive issues lining up the screws to put the socket back on. I get one in but cannot get the second to line up.

So frustrating. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Not really any great advice. The cables are a bit springy and can push the sockets out of true. Little annoying but not a lot you can do other than make sure they are aligned when trying to screw. Best way is probably to push both screws flush into the socket, then you have a little gap between the socket and the back box, so you can peer round and get one lined up. Put it in a few turns, until it bites and then do the same around the other side.

You can only like one up. Once it catches and is screwed there is no gap to line the other up.
God.knows how they did it when fitting it. I think I need konger screws.

The finger plates look rubbish. Any advice on how to clean up the socket edges where I tiled? There are slight gaps in the tile. Calk or silicone?

Sponsored Links
I have found using one of the LED headlights can be a great help in lining up the second screw. Shine through the hole and you can see the lug behind, line up plate and fit screw.:cool:

Are you sure the tile has been cut correctly to allow the socket to sit in the correct position?

Ive just unscrewed some electrical sockets and unwired them to fit some plate covers behind to hide tile gaps.

Now i am having massive issues lining up the screws to put the socket back on. I get one in but cannot get the second to line up.

So frustrating. Any advice?

YES.

Longer screws IF you need them.

Start putting the screw in the 'adjustable, slidy' box lug first, then put the screw in the fixed lug.

(Assuming you have this arrangement of course.)

You can only like one up. Once it catches and is screwed there is no gap to line the other up.
Then longer screws are needed.

God.knows how they did it when fitting it. I think I need konger screws.
Practice. Some screws are better than others as well - some have a "pip" on the end that helps get it started, otherwise they can be tricky. But definitely one of those "practice makes it easy" things.

The finger plates look rubbish. Any advice on how to clean up the socket edges where I tiled? There are slight gaps in the tile. Calk or silicone?
Do you mean the tiles have been cut with too big a hole, so when the socket is fitted there is a gap ? If so then there isn't an easy and neat solution other than to remove the offending tiles and cut new ones with the right size holes :rolleyes: You'll often find sockets with clearly visible caulking round the outside where the decorator has bodged across the gap - hard to criticise the decorator for having to bodge someone else's cockup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back