Shaver socket mis-alignment problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a predicament.

I need to fit a shaver socket in my bathroom. The backbox is fitted and has been tiled around. Unfortunately, the hole cut in the tile is slightly off center from the backbox. This means that when I put the shaver socket in the hole and screw it in it does not align perfectly with the tile, leaving a gap of 1 or 2 cm at the top :(

I can't rectify this mistake without re-tiling, which I'm not going to do :)

Does anyone know where I can get some sort of plastic "surround" to go between the tile and the shaver socket to cover the gap?

Many thanks,
Jordan

Sponsored Links
leaving a gap of 1 or 2 cm at the top :(
That is one heck of a miscalculation by your tiler . ;)
Surely it would be best to break out that one tile and then replace with a new tile & grout. Otherwise its always going to look pants, you'll glare at it every time you go in the bathroom.

At the very least you could put a small piece of matching tile to cover the gap, it wont show so much once its in place and grouted up.

The fingerplate idea is good - they used to do a wooden surround to fit double sockets, though they don't seem so available these days.

Or, you could carefully cut out the plaster at the gaps between the box and the tile. Then remove the fixing screws which hold the box to the wall. Then tap the box to thbe correct position with a hammer and screwdriver. Then drill and screw the back box to the correct position. Then kick the tiler up the rs.

Sponsored Links
Well if you`re not going to repair it by re-tiling then silicon will look as naff as owt else :D

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to replace the tile after all. Initially I didn't want to do that in case I made the situation worse.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. I *may* of been the tiler. Oops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back