Rescuing damage to newly painted ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheDec: out of interest, if vibrobullit407's suggestion is not the way to go, what would you recommend instead?

I am not taking sides here, as I have no idea what would be best to use myself!

Sponsored Links
The suggestion of using 400 grit to feather out an emulsion paint was frankly well out of order, you need to be looking at 120 grit, and in my opinion this abrasive is not to course for this type of work, and should serve you well.

The importance here is to provide and offer a uniform finish with regard to the existing paint system and plaster skim, give the 120 a go and you should be fine, if by any chance you run into difficultly then you know where to come. Again in your situation allow your hand to guide you, so after sanding dust off and run your hand over the prepared area, for your hands and fingers will reveal things that your eyes cannot often see.

The element of touch in the finishing trade is often far more important than a good pair of eyes.

Dec

Kevlar;

Don't think my advice is "out of order" as it will work but thankfully dec has given an alternative so go with what ever solution will work best for yourself! ;)

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Kevlar;

Don't think my advice is "out of order" as it will work but thankfully dec has given an alternative so go with what ever solution will work best for yourself! ;)

Good luck

Give it up, your advice was absurd.

Dec

Not getting sucked into your childish squabbling due to the fact I have given alternative yet feasible advice to the almighty dec and he doesn't like it!

Grow up and good bye

I have used both methods on patches of bare ceiling plaster where paint has peeled off and both have worked. OP would perhaps be best advised to employ whichever method he feels most confident about.

@ The Dec: you seem to struggle with the idea that a forum is for discussion and the offering of solutions. I'm sure you'll agree that with decorating there is often more than one way round a problem. Please do not feel that it is an attack on you personally if someone suggests an alternative to the way you would do it. It would be a pity if good forum members were lost because they are fed up of being insulted or their advice rubbished. I'm sure you would find it demoralising if I were to point out the flaws in your English - so I won't! But that's the effect of your damning criticisms of our suggestions in this and other threads. Perhaps a less autocratic approach and a little more tact on your part would make for greater participation by other members. You may be 'The Dec' but you are not the ONLY one!

Abuse reported. And you'll be glad to learn I'm in perfect health, thank you.

Resorting to insults when you're told a few home truths...that's playground stuff. I'm surprised at you.

Please think about what I've said. It is an observation based on six months of reading and contributing to this forum, remember, not just this last week as my profile suggests (due to recent change of username/account for good reason).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back