resettable immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
i hope someone can help me .Ive just installed a new immersion heater,works fine the only problem is after it has heated the water it will not heat up again untill i reset it.Iam sure ive wired it correctly,but any information would be appreciated.Its a dual element top entry
kind regards steve

Sponsored Links
what's the thermostat set to? Turn it down a bit.

Dear John,
at the moment its set to 70c
i have turned it down to its lowest setting which is 50c and it still has to be reset
kind regards steve

H'mmmm.

Does the water coming out of the taps seem unusually hot?

I presume it is the Overheat cutout that trips.

p.s. if you can post a pic of the top of the heater showing the wiring connections, that might help.

Sponsored Links
Dear John,
thanks for replying, the immersion as i said is dual element,but the switch is a single fused type, could it be that i need to get a switch where you can choose to heat the water for a sink or bath
kind regards steve

Some dual element immersion heaters have a switch on the top; some need a 2-way sink/bath switch.

Where is the thing you are resetting?

Does the immersion heater circuit have a dedicated 15A or 16A fuse or MCB in the consumer unit/fusebox?

Dear John,
the circuit has its own 20A fuse and the reset which is a tiny button (you have to use a nail) is on top of the thermostat.
steve

Are both elements running at the same time?

Did you answer my question about the heat of the water?

Dear John,
the water is normally heated by an AGA which gets very hot, the immersion is hot but not unbearable
steve

Dear John,
im not sure ,but as there is no switch to choose between sink or bath, i would assume that they probably are,but i cannot see how to wire it any differently
steve

john,
im off to to B and Q in a moment is it worth buying a switch where you can choose bath or sink ,could this be the problem
steve

yes, buy a switch, and another metre of heat-resistant 1.5mm flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back