Immersion Heater Trips Every 2 months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have searched the forums for this problem but found nothing matching.

We have a water tank with an immersion heater which is the resettable type, i.e. when it trips out you press the red button and it works again.

The heater works ok except that every 2 months it trips out and we have to reset it by pressing the red button.

Can anyone suggest why this keeps happening and what action I need to take to prevent it continually happening.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Bobby

Sponsored Links
Is the heater part of a sealed system such as a Megaflow or similar? A small removeable plastic panel at the bottom of cylinder, immersion and cylinder stat within?

Do you heat the tank using the indirect coild aswell?? IE, does a boiler also heat the tank?

Sounds like you are running the water temp over the threshold of the safety cutout. Reduce the temperature setting on the thermostat of the immersion and/or the cylinder stat used to control the boiler.

Do you notice the water is unusually hot?

Hi

Thanks so much for the reply. :D

We have electric storage heaters for heating so there is no boiler heating the tank.

The water is quite hot yes, I will turn the thermostat down - could it be anything else as well??

I would do as Lectrician says and try turning the stat down a bit and see how it goes.

If this cures it then fantastic, if not we can try something else.

It might be the first signs of the stat or the cutout failing but might not.

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
RF Lighting said:
It might be the first signs of the stat or the cutout failing but might not.

You fence sitter ;)

that reminds me of Spitting Image in the 80's taking the mick out of Paddy Pantsdown,

"I neither fondled her left leg, nor did I fondle her right leg, but somewhere inbetween...."

Cheers chaps.

Will adjust the thermostat and keep my fingers crossed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back