Immersion heaters tripping

Yes, so the night time one only trips at night time?

The 24 hr one trips anytime of the day?

Sounds daft, but trying to work out what could be wrong.

Before you had both elements changed, which was the first element to go wrong, in the beginning?

yes, you could only test the night time one at night as there is no power to it. the day time one (24 hour) trips at any time it is switched on as the power to it is constant.

power supply to the flat between 11.30pm and 6.30am is on the lower rate cost as far as i understand. before dynorod changed the immersion heaters, the night time one had already packed up and only the day time one (the constant one) was working.

Sponsored Links
A flat.

Are the two immersion switches by the cylinder right next to each other?

Is the wiring single core wires in concealed round conduit?

A flat.

Are the two immersion switches by the cylinder right next to each other?

Is the wiring single core wires in concealed round conduit?

yes the two switches are next to each other on the wall.
the feed to the two switches on the wall are run inside a pvc trunking

here is an old photo of it

Attachments

• hot water tank.jpg
    hot water tank.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-20200128-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200128-WA0001.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 98
  • consumer unit.jpg
    consumer unit.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
If NICEIC registered as approved contractor and domestic installer can't be relied upon then not sure how else you are supposed to verify a company's competence. I would expect they can still be incompetent, but I would hope NICEIC do checks on electricians before approving them!
When I worked for an NICEIC company the inspector called yearly, we had about 12-15 sparks on the books, a couple of gud uns and the rest pretty average, the inspector only saw jobs by the gud uns

A few years ago a place I do some work for had a major refurb/extension £5m +, I have spent the last 5 years sorting out the mess the NICEIC contractor left behind, as has the gas fitter, putting right the wrongs made by the Gas Safe contractors, you pays your money, you takes your chance

yes the two switches are next to each other on the wall.
the feed to the two switches on the wall are run inside a pvc trunking

here is an old photo of it
Which breaker or breakers trip ?
Is it only the 40 amp mcb ,marked 1 on red background ,and water heater? And only that one that trips?

I was just wondering if the neutral feeds were mixed up at the wall switches, this would only be a problem if you have RCDs, a picture of the consumer units may help.

Seems such a coincidence that the both heaters appear to be faulty.

EDIT - only just seen consumer unit pic.

If both Im/ heaters are wired to that 40 amp mcb ,It's odd to say the least ,and if it is that tripping there is obviously a dead short.

Which breaker or breakers trip ?
Is it only the 40 amp mcb ,marked 1 on red background ,and water heater? And only that one that trips?

the 40amp is the night immersion heater and the 16amp, labelled 1 storage heating in green is the day immersion heater. the electrician labelled it wrong. they don't trip, only the main RCD trips.

The main RCD should only do all the day time circuits.

Does that RCD trip when ONLY the night time heater is turned on, at night?

Has anybody worked recently inside the consumer unit ??

only when it was installed earier this year. at that time only the day immersion heater was working so I wonder if having both immersion heaters connected is causing the trip as the night immersion may be working as well even though it is only meant to come on at night.

I think your problem is within the consumer unit . Was it the same electrician that supposedly " tested" the circuits recently ,that installed the consumer unit earlier this year ?
And please confirm that he tested the circuits recently ,without removing the cover of the consumer unit .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back