Immersion heaters tripping

Sponsored Links
Do they have different types of immersion heater?
A G3 certification is required to work on unvented cylinders ,hence my question . And your statement that most electricians can fit immersion heaters may well be true ,but not on unvented cylinders. I have never met a spark that holds a G3.

A G3 certification is required to work on unvented cylinders ,hence my question . And your statement that most electricians can fit immersion heaters may well be true ,but not on unvented cylinders. I have never met a spark that holds a G3.

why do you need G3 for unvented? is it more complicated to be unvented?

Sponsored Links
Unvented cylinders are far more complicated. And can ,in very certain circumstances, explode like a bomb.
I don't know what yours is ,asked for a pic ??

Can you provide us a photo of the connections in the immersion heater? I bet they are connected up incorrectly.

Can you provide us a photo of the connections in the immersion heater? I bet they are connected up incorrectly.

I thought that possible, maybe put L&N into the stat, but thought as its been tested by an electrician, its highly unlikely.

But then again what are the limits of incompetence.

I thought that possible, maybe put L&N into the stat, but thought as its been tested by an electrician, its highly unlikely.

But then again what are the limits of incompetence.

the electrician did not say the immersion heaters were incorrectly connected. he said there was a loose wire, which he tightened but that was not the cause of the tripping. i think he would have known if the connection was not done correctly and have reconnected it.

the electrician did not say the immersion heaters were incorrectly connected. he said there was a loose wire, which he tightened but that was not the cause of the tripping. i think he would have known if the connection was not done correctly and have reconnected it.

I agree, but........

I agree, but........

i suppose he could be unfamiliar with immersion heaters and do not know how they should be connected? i looked at a youtube video on how to wire them and there were 3 connectors, live neutral and earth, so i can't see how that can go wrong?

i didn't see a video of the thermostat being connected separately, i saw one where the thermostat was part of the immersion heater.

i suppose he could be unfamiliar with immersion heaters and do not know how they should be connected? i looked at a youtube video on how to wire them and there were 3 connectors, live neutral and earth, so i can't see how that can go wrong?

i didn't see a video of the thermostat being connected separately, i saw one where the thermostat was part of the immersion heater.

In the uk the stat is a seperate part that slides into a sleeve on the heater element, connections are - Live to one side of stat - live from other side of stat to to terminal on element - the other side of element connects to Neutral, total of four termination points plus an earth terminal.

so i can't see how that can go wrong?

The phone services to me and three neighbours was ripped out by a falling tree, a total of eight connections. BT experts managed to incorrectly connect every wire.

I did attend a complaint once by a very senior judge in lincolns inn fields. The complaint was water too hot, the paint was peeling off the airing cupboard door, I found the L&N straight onto the element, I asked who did this, says he "I did, is it a problem, I only switch it on for an hour a day because if I leave it on longer it makes a strange noise"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back