Resistor identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I have a resistor I'm struggling to identify. The four bands are either Brown - Black - Brown - Black, or Black - Brown - Black - Brown.
I think I'm right that Black can't be a tolerance figure as it is zero. So this would make the resistor 1 ohm with 1% tolerance. Reading it the other way round would make it 100 ohms with 0% tolerance. It's about 20mm long so I'm guessing maybe 5 to 10W? Can anyone help with this? FYI it is wired in series with a second identical resistor.
I suppose I could remove the good one and just measure the resistance. But any ideas on the wattage?

Attachments

• 15767125521405937510601859872812.jpg
    15767125521405937510601859872812.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like the 1 ohm, I'd say 1/2w,possibly 1w. putting a 1w in wont hurt assuming it fits.

If it's in series, how come only 1 has gone?

The normal arrangement of a 4 band marking is that the gap before the tolerance band is wider than the gap between the value bands.

I am wondering if this resistor is a fusible resistor as the markings / gaps on fusible resistors do not always follow the system for ordinary resistors. They may be an in house part number and not the value.

Selecting a replacement fusible resistor requires some care as they are invariable a safety device.

If it's in series, how come only 1 has gone?

I don't know, maybe they both have, maybe neither have and the fuse blew first. Only one is visibly damaged and the leg is loose in the pcb, perhaps as a result of overheating but also could be the cause.

Sponsored Links
The normal arrangement of a 4 band marking is that the gap before the tolerance band is wider than the gap between the value bands.

I am wondering if this resistor is a fusible resistor as the markings / gaps on fusible resistors do not always follow the system for ordinary resistors. They may be an in house part number and not the value.

Selecting a replacement fusible resistor requires some care as they are invariable a safety device.
This is interesting, I'll investigate...

Hi everyone. I have a resistor I'm struggling to identify. The four bands are either Brown - Black - Brown - Black, or Black - Brown - Black - Brown.
I think I'm right that Black can't be a tolerance figure as it is zero. So this would make the resistor 1 ohm with 1% tolerance. Reading it the other way round would make it 100 ohms with 0% tolerance. It's about 20mm long so I'm guessing maybe 5 to 10W? Can anyone help with this? FYI it is wired in series with a second identical resistor.
I suppose I could remove the good one and just measure the resistance. But any ideas on the wattage?

If it is a resistor (which is my first guess) it'll be 1Ω 1%. Judging by the estimate of 20mm long I'd opt for 2W (or possibly 3W). Good luck with adequately measuring 1Ω.

Unlikely they would put 2 fuses in series.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back