Resizing cupboard door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently altered my kitchen around and as a result I have made a cupboard slightly smaller than it's original size, hence, the original door is now too big.

It's a bog standard pine effect mdf door, the type you get in any DIY shed. My question is can I resize it 3 inches smaller width wise, or do I need to get another door?

Sponsored Links
If it can be cut down and still look right.
Yes.

Can they be pulled apart at a join? If I cut it off either end it won't look right, cutting at a join will mean I can simply glue the door back together minus a few inches.

Probably but unless you post a photo people can only guess at the city construction.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking I could clamp the door and pull it apart at the joint, saw it down and re glue it??

Unless you assure us otherwise I'd say that was foil wrapped MDF - the chances of pulling it apart, cutting it down and reassembling it without wrecking it are vanishingly small. It may not even have real rails and stiles.

If you can find a finish which matches, I'd say get a new door. There are companies who make-to-measure foil wrapped doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back