Resoldering a joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to remove a yorkshire fitting for some pipework mods. Do i have to remove all of the old solder from the copper pipe before fitting a new yorkshire fitting. Access is a bit tight and the solder does not come off easily with wire wool. Will the old solder on the pipe mix with the new solder when heated.

Any advice would be apprieciated.

Sponsored Links
I need to do the same thing.

you can resolder it but make sure its clean

Does that mean: yes you can leave some solder on
or
no, all the solder must be removed and the pipe made totally clean?

jezer, what did you do in the end?

Old post is this but.........you do not have to remove all the old solder, just make sure the pipe and fitting are very clean.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, sorry for resurrecting the old post, was just desperate for an answer. I have just done my last joints of 2 bathroom refits in my house and I have just 1 leaky joint to replace. Pretty pleased really as this is my first attempt at plumbing.

If the pipe has had water in it, it is essential to get it dry. It will not resolder if there is water and steam in it.

If the old solder is a bit rough, you can heat the pipe to just melt it, and wipe it round quickly with a dry cotton cloth. This will spread the molten solder smoothly. Then let it harden before assembling your joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back