[resolved] Replacing broken light fitting in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

When moving a ladder the other day in the garage, I knocked the bulb out which broke the black plastic socket bit.

I've bought a new one and was just hoping to replace the bit where the bulb goes in but not sure what to do with the wires.

socket.JPG

shows what is in the ceiling.

original.JPG

shows the back of the old broken bit (the two brown wires from above just went into the holes)

new.JPG

is the new one with three holes!

I've tried just sticking the two brown wires in the two main holes on the new one but it just blew the bulb when I turned it on. Does it matter which way round they go? Or is there much more wrong?!

I don't really want to change the whole thing if I can help it.

Cheers in advance.

Simon

Sponsored Links
You probably had a duff lamp, or possibly you squished a cable and created a short when you fixed the new lampholder back, eg live on earth terminal?

The 3rd terminal is for an earth and superfluous in your application.

Polarity is not important in bayonet lampholders.

It can only be a faulty, or wrong (for example a 110 Volt) bulb.

Sponsored Links
If you just changed the portiong you show in your hand, how secure is it? It is a completely different make and style. I can see it being wobbly, or can see the white rose lid not being secure.

He probably used the new rose lid but left the base in place. Most lids seem to fit without cross threading, though I'd want to make sure those screws on the new lampholder aren't sticking out too far...

Thanks guys - it's ok. When you screw on the white 'surround' it holds it in place nicely.

He probably used the new rose lid but left the base in place. Most lids seem to fit without cross threading, though I'd want to make sure those screws on the new lampholder aren't sticking out too far...

I dont think I have ever found a cover that is interchangeable.

The pic he shows is also an old school batten by the look of it rather one with an integral rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back