Resolving a botched floor repair . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am renovating a bathroom and first up is to sort the concrete floor. Going to pour a levelling compound then vinyl tiles.

However there are currently a couple of deep holes in the concrete screed - caused, I think, as part of the original installation of radiator pipes - these are now redundant (been replaced by copper pipes above the floor). These have been badly repaired with the patches crumbling and not adhereding to the original concrete.

Untouched, the 'repairs' look like this:

Once I have cleared out one of the broken patches I found it was sitting on a load of loose vermiculite and a blue membrane - no wonder the patch was loose!

The property is a third floor flat built c.2005 with I think concrete screed over concrete slab floors in a steel frame. You can see the slab underneath here:

To make a good repair I want to remove all the blue membrane, clean out th hole thoroughly and fill it with fresh concrete (possibly with a bonding slurry - OPC and PVA - in between).

I am however not confident that I should remove the blue membrane as I am not clear why it is there. Surely it isn't a DPM (on a third floor flat)? Is it for thermal insulation?

Cutting out the blue membrane I feel a could make a good patch, but putting a patch ontop of it is never going to be stable.

Can anyone clarify what the membrane is likely for and what will be the impact of not having a patch of it under the repair?

Thanks

Jim (competent DIY'er, but far from expert!)

Sponsored Links
Maybe sound transmission or to maintain an existing air gap?

Sponsored Links
Really? Do you know that for a fact? I'm not being a smartarse, I'm genuinely trying to understand if ut is part of a regulation.

Ta
J
Don't think it is a building regulation no. More there to prevent noise transfer as a kind of dampener I guess. Probably more to satisfy NHBC and avoiding nuisance.
It looks like the same material that screeders use around the perimeter of a screed as an expansion joint.

Don't think it is a building regulation no. More there to prevent noise transfer as a kind of dampener I guess. Probably more to satisfy NHBC and avoiding nuisance.
It looks like the same material that screeders use around the perimeter of a screed as an expansion joint.
That's really helpful thank you!

I feel more confident in cutting a bit out to make a decent repair.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back