Responsibility for roof repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a leak on both sides of my roof which I have been advised is due to the mortar on the existing ridge tiles between the roofs (circled) having degraded.

My roofer advises that the best course of action would be to replace these with a Bonding Gutter.

My question is around who should meet the responsibility for the costs. Are such repairs covered under the party wall act and as such should the cost of repairs be met by both adjoining properties as the gutter prevents leaks where both roofs meet?

Would appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
If you both have a leak then arguably it depends where exactly it is leaking, any leaks or problems on your side should be dealt with by you and vice versa however if the whole joint needs replacing then the cost should be shared. That's the fair and commons sense approach of course ......

The PWA does not cover roof finishes so is not relevant.

I agree with the above to an extent, however:

OP, either you, or a previous owner, removed your slate roof covering, and replaced it with tile and the two joining arrangements. You are therefore "technically" 100% responsible for repairing the leaks or replacing with a bonding gutter or whatever.

If a written agreement exists then all things change. In the meantime its perhaps best not to mention the PWA.

There are two stains on the brickwork below the eaves suspiciously near to the joins?

Sponsored Links
I agree with ree, your two neighbours' are slate. It's more than likely your roof was once slate, and doubtful that there were any 'joins' between the properties originally.

Whoever it was who introduced the joins ... and it's unlikely to be either of your neighbours ... has upset the applecart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back