Restoring a hardwood bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bench which has metal ends and hardwood planks joining them. The wood has got into a state with the varnish badly peeling but the wood still seems sound, it hasn't rotted and is still strong.

I plan to sand of the varnish so the wood is nice and clean. I wonder if I would be best to then varnish it, or stain it. Is it purely a matter of taste or are there differences in durability/protection to be aware of?

Sponsored Links
I've restored two benches like this. One had missing slats, so I bought some oak replacements. The slats on the other were OK, so I belt sanded them and oiled them. Any sort of varnish or surface protection is going to peel over time, and in my opinion oil is better on hard wood.

I used a tinted Osmo oil that I had left over from renovating some cedar cladding, but any oil designed for hardwood would do.

It's worth cleaning up the cast iron ends and re-painting them. If they're covered in rust and flaky paint, then finding a local shot blaster is a good way to save time and aggravation.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks.

I've started sanding it down though I only have a palm/mouse sander which should be big enough for one bench. It's fairly slow sanding the wood down though, I thought it would rip the old varnish off in a jiffy... I'm wondering what the right grade sandpaper should be? I was using 80 which seems very coarse - but I'm used to working with fibreglass or little school woodwork projects - would 40 be better for quickly cleaning the wood up?

I'm going to try sanding the metal ends myself - the sander comes with a detail 'finger' attachment. It's as much about doing it myself and learning as it is about the bench; the time it's taking I could've worked enough to buy a new bench anyway :)

Coarser wouldn't hurt (you can always finish off with finer if you don't like the result).

I'd consider whether now is the time to treat yourself to a belt sander. A belt sander will rip through it in no time. Tools for the job ;)

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
A decent sander would cost as much as a nice bench - if I thought I'd use it on DIY I'd have got a proper one but I don't really see me needing to sand anything else so sadly I can't justify it. Borrowing one might've made more sense but I'm 1/2 way through now anyway. I'll try 40 and see if that speeds it up.

A decent sander would cost as much as a nice bench - if I thought I'd use it on DIY I'd have got a proper one but I don't really see me needing to sand anything else so sadly I can't justify it. Borrowing one might've made more sense but I'm 1/2 way through now anyway. I'll try 40 and see if that speeds it up.

To be honest, you'd probably make quicker progress with one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-hand-sander-240-x-84mm/12688

and some elbow grease, and someone to make you cups of tea while you do it.

Cheers
Richard

Might be handy. I usually find a lump of wood on the rare times I have something to sand but a proper grip would be nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back