Restoring an old oak table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a solid oak dining table where the paint/stain/wax/varnish has been worn away follow years of plates - please see the below photo.

I would like to return it back to its original state but don't know where to start. I'm not even sure if it's stained, varnished or waxed. Should I rub it back? And how would I match the colour?

Appreciate any advice - thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you planning on doing the whole table top or just patch repairs?
If the whole top I would sand it back to completely bare wood then wipe it with a cloth dipped in white spirit to remove all the dust.
Start with a coarse/medium glass paper then follow up with a fine paper and finish with a very fine one, (sometimes called flour grade).
Apply the finish in very light, even coats allowing plenty of time to dry and very lightly sanding between each coat.
What to use for the finish depends on what appearance you want. I don't think you can get a high gloss with stain but with a wax you can get a lustre finish which I consider quite nice.

Are you planning on doing the whole table top or just patch repairs?
If the whole top I would sand it back to completely bare wood then wipe it with a cloth dipped in white spirit to remove all the dust.
Start with a coarse/medium glass paper then follow up with a fine paper and finish with a very fine one, (sometimes called flour grade).
Apply the finish in very light, even coats allowing plenty of time to dry and very lightly sanding between each coat.
What to use for the finish depends on what appearance you want. I don't think you can get a high gloss with stain but with a wax you can get a lustre finish which I consider quite nice.
Thank you for the advice -very helpful. Can you tell what the table was painted with originally? Are you suggesting stain please and what would I do if I only wanted treat the patches? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I agree with foxhole in that I love oiled oak. If you varnish, or even stain, then if an accident occurs it's more difficult, though not impossible, to match repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back