Restoring Old Phones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased several old GPO phones (706s & 746s for any enthusiasts out there) which I intend to convert to the new plug system and then generally jolly up and sell on on eBay.

I'm happy with the technical side of things, but does anyone have any suggestions for what I should use to polish up the plastic bodies, to make them all shiny again ?

Sponsored Links
Pop over to http://www. ultimate handy man.co.uk/acrylic_sheet.htm

(remove the spaces!)

Theres a bit about polishing plastic there.
:cool:

Why not check out the forum while your there...

Thanks for the tips - I'll practice on the insides first and see how I get on.

Sponsored Links
for a super shiney finish (after t-cut) Car interior spary like "Back To Black" silicon polish is good.

Upvc polish cleaner? It maybe T-cut with a difference name :!:

there is a thing called "Armorall" that you can buy in motorists toyshops. It goes on like milk and puts the shine back on dull plastic, rubber and painted surfaces. Lasts well. It has no colour. You can spray it on, or apply it to a cloth and rub into the surface. You can use it under the bonnet or on rubber trim including rubbing strips on doors and bumpers, and on tyres but preferably not bike tyres. It is not an abrasive or a varnish, it makes the surface look shiny in the same way as wetting a dry material.

Abrasive cleaners like T-cut might reduce the value of "antiques" because they remove the patina of age.

sidecar_jon said:
for a super shiney finish (after t-cut) Car interior spary like "Back To Black" silicon polish is good.

Perspex polish or acrylic polish will work, but silicone (not silicon) polish is an invention of the devil. The phones would never have had that level of polish anyway.

Thanks all - have converted the two-tone green one in the picture below and it is now my home phone, but I am going to get polishing up the rest for selling on after conversion.

09040612212np.jpg

Hi Johnny,

I know it's been a while since the logged this post, but I would like to restore an old phone(s) and was wondering where you sourced them from.

Regards

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back