Restoring Parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've acquired a quantity of parquet flooring that was taken up from a school, they are in a condition that you would expect from years in a school hall.

I don't plan on laying this flooring any time soon but would like to begin restoring it for eventual use, I had to rescue it because the caretaker has been using it to start the boiler!.

Some places i've read advise only taking loose bits of bitumen off and others say try and get off as much as possible, which should I be doing?

Also, is it worth sanding the surface at all before its laid, or will better results be achieved if sanded together after laying with a drum sander?

Any tips or advise would be great, would love to see the floor put to good use in my home rather than in the school boiler!

Matt

Sponsored Links
It's best to remove as much bitumen as you can, modern adhesives don't really bond that well with bitumen residue (it takes quite a bit longer before they blocks are really stuck down well)

If you sand them before you install them you might end up having to sand them again anyway. During installation you will have slight differences in height between the blocks, plus then you can also fill any gaps - and you'll have to sand of the excess woodfiller anyway.

Thanks, wont waste my time on sanding the blocks down then. I sanded down a few blocks solely to convince my girlfriend that it was a worthwhile project, she was instantly convinced.

Any magic tips for removing the bitumen? I have a multimaster so may order some of the scraper blades that they do.

Matt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, wont waste my time on sanding the blocks down then. I sanded down a few blocks solely to convince my girlfriend that it was a worthwhile project, she was instantly convinced.

Any magic tips for removing the bitumen? I have a multimaster so may order some of the scraper blades that they do.

Matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back