1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Restoring pine floorboards

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by Gart Webb, 26 Jan 2020.

1. Gart Webb

Gart Webb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would like to remove a laminate floor in a community space and sand and polish/protect original pine floorboards. Council want to replace with another laminate floor. Would restoring original pine floorboards provide a durable surface for community use? They appear in good condition and are original to the building built in 1906.They are 5inch tongue and groove. Any advice please. Thanks.

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depends how thick they are , pine floor boards in an Edwardian property I worked in were only 10mm thick after repeated sanding over the years . Furniture started to punch holes thru it .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Gart Webb

Gart Webb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks for advice. Will check thickness of floorboards tomorrow. Not sure whether they were originally covered with some other material as the bit I exposed looks pristine and it's 114years old!

5. Gart Webb

Gart Webb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Trouble with exposed boards in community use would be risk of injury, just one nail popping up is enough to cause serious injury to a child falling on or over it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1