Restoring pine floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to remove a laminate floor in a community space and sand and polish/protect original pine floorboards. Council want to replace with another laminate floor. Would restoring original pine floorboards provide a durable surface for community use? They appear in good condition and are original to the building built in 1906.They are 5inch tongue and groove. Any advice please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends how thick they are , pine floor boards in an Edwardian property I worked in were only 10mm thick after repeated sanding over the years . Furniture started to punch holes thru it .

Many thanks for advice. Will check thickness of floorboards tomorrow. Not sure whether they were originally covered with some other material as the bit I exposed looks pristine and it's 114years old!

DSC_0270.JPG

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for advice. Will check thickness of floorboards tomorrow. Not sure whether they were originally covered with some other material as the bit I exposed looks pristine and it's 114years old!
Trouble with exposed boards in community use would be risk of injury, just one nail popping up is enough to cause serious injury to a child falling on or over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back