Restoring stained doors and window woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house where all the interior doors, skirting boards and windows were stained a medium dark colour. Unfortunately in many places, wear has resulted in the original wood colour showing through.

How to I go about getting them looking good again ?

If I were to simply use a similar finish all over, would the currently bare parts return to more or less their previous glory, or do I have to treat them in a special way first ?

Stripping the finish off might be tricky as most of the doors are glazed with 15 panes in a 3x5 arrangement.

Sponsored Links
They'll come back good as new if you know what they were coated with originally.

Fortunately the previous owner left a load of old paint tins in the garage. I won't use the crusty contents, but I'll try and match up what was used where and get the same thing again.

Sponsored Links
Just sand down with one of those sponge sanding blocks without scratching the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back