Restricted permitted development - potential problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving very soon (I hope!)

searches have revealed that permitted development is restricted.........

What exactly does this mean?

the Authority I will be under is very vague on the answer to this :confused:

Does it mean full planning permission is required for...............

.............. a shed at the back?

...............re-painting the front rendering?

................etc

thanks in advance chaps[/b]

Sponsored Links
It means some or all of your permitted development rights have been removed. This can happen if the property has been built within say the last 20 years and the planners wished to restrict development or because they have applied an article 4 direction which is something Planning can apply in an area to restrict development. Your solicitor should be able to shed some light as to which and as to what has been restricted. If not then contacting the planners may be the only way forward, if they give you some cock and bull story or they try to charge you tell them you'll find out from them under the Freedom of Information Act so they may as well tell you.

Ultimately you could find garage conversions or sticking a shed up or whatever is restricted or everything could be so you'd have to apply for Planning permission that's not to say you wouldn't get it it depends on the individual circumstances. Oh and there's no LA fee either for these types of application.

Surely that is what solicitors are paid for :s

Just out of interest, what local authority is it?

@ Freddie,

.........property is a 1930`s (ish) semi - which is why I am confused. I understand that article 4 is sometimes used when a property is on a main road (which this is) - It close to a school too.

we are even more confused because frontage wise the plot is already filled, the only extension possible would be above the garage! It already has a porch and a drive.

The rear garden is completely private.

Surely that is what solicitors are paid for :s

Just out of interest, what local authority is it?

Indeed you are correct, searches only just in and we have yet to sit in front of solicitor to discuss this in more detail.

Authority is Denbighshire. Their website is useless and it is pointless ring them until I am an owner!

With regard to our desired plans.............

I would like to brick up the garage door and pop a window in it and move the porch door at the same time - however I would definitely apply for permission to do that anyway

the garden could do with a bigger shed too, but I may use some of my special magic shed growing powder on that :eek:

thanks for the help so far

P.S. - It is on the whole a very amusing situation given the number of illegal extensions we have seen whilst viewing in this area!

Sponsored Links
Just for your information, first floor side extensions cannot be done under PD... if down the line you were thinking of doing that. You would have to apply for formal Planning permission.

As for these restrictions... the property may contain a covenant preventing the garage being converted to a habitable room. In that instance, a Planning application would be required, whereas normally they can be done under PD.

If PD limits have been removed or covenants are in place, then even though a Planning application would be required, no fees would be applicable. But always check with the LPA. No harm in seeking pre-application advice if their "free" advice isn't going anywhere.

Just for your information, first floor side extensions cannot be done under PD... if down the line you were thinking of doing that. You would have to apply for formal Planning permission.

As for these restrictions... the property may contain a covenant preventing the garage being converted to a habitable room. In that instance, a Planning application would be required, whereas normally they can be done under PD.

If PD limits have been removed or covenants are in place, then even though a Planning application would be required, no fees would be applicable. But always check with the LPA. No harm in seeking pre-application advice if their "free" advice isn't going anywhere.

Cheers for the info..........

trouble is we are talking wales here...........

I already know that work has been done without any paper..........(It actually suits us and has been done properly, it is also quite clearly photographed on the for sale photos so clearly we didn't do it :D :D :D

my solicitor is attempting to sort it all out (to our benefit of course ;) )

This practice is VERY common in the area, I wondered if PD has been removed in a vain attempt to control this practice?????

One house we viewed was 3 times bigger than it should have been :eek:

Also it is very common for rows of houses to have a track behind them usually to access a garage at the bottom of garden, well this is how they were built, these days most of these tracks have been grabbed and turned into extra garden length

we struggled to find a house without a dodgy loft conversion (no way I am putting that right)

This house is pretty "honest" hence why we chose it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back