Restricting flow? Possible to replace copper with plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold water feed to my new shower comes off a very awkward junction. A t followed by a 90 degree and tight bend. I’ve no idea whether this will effect shower performance due to restriction of water flow??

if so, I’d like to reconfigure with some speedfit connections to enable a more straightforward connection.

Having read the posts referring to bonding and reading whatever I can find on the net, I believe I’m ok to cross bond the copper section of the pipes. Otherwise I can ensure the length of said pipe is longer than 1m. The latter is the preferred option.

it’s worth noting that I believe the cold/hot pipes are likely in contact in other areas and I won’t have access if I need to bond.

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Is your shower an electric instantaneous ,or a mains fed thermostatic ( fed from a combi boiler or UNVENTED cylinder) ?

I wouldn't worry too much as your hot and cold are under mains pressure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So no need to mess about!

surprising that 2 junctions in quick succession don’t effect shower performance. Never as simple as it looks !!

Most of the water to the shower ,in volume ,would be the hot and a little cold mixed in to achieve your desired temperature. Even if your hot pipes are the same layout , there is no appreciable difference. Not with a couple of elbows.

Just for a laugh I had a look at pressure drop for a 15mm elbow with cold water- came out at 5 millibars so not worth worrying about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back