Results from house survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm in the process of buying a house, and got the Homebuyers Survey through yesterday, Having read it all through I am fairly happy with the results, but there are a few points I wanted to query with you.

1)- a sulphurous smell in the loft.
I suspect this is a faulty AAV as there is no external soil stack. Does this seem a sensible assumption?

Heating and Hot Water supplied by a Potterton Suprima and an unvented mains pressure steel cylinder. There is a gas fire in the lounge. However...
2)- No service to the boiler for at least 2 years. (although repair work was done in early September- don't know what)
and
3) Cylinder could not be inspected due to stored belongings.
and
4) No service to the gas fire for at least 10 years!!

Would I be unreasonable to ask for the 3 appliances to be serviced and paid for by the vendor. If so, am I right in thinking that the cylinder has to be checked by a plumber with G3 accreditation? And finally, what is the likely cost of a service/ safety check for these 3 appliances? (I'm thinking about £150 if all done by the same person). Southampton area if anyone local wants to volunteer!

I look forward to your opinions.

CD.

Sponsored Links
If I was the vendor I would be telling you to take it or leave it.....or to cut you some slack I'd be asking you to pay for it to which I'd be happy to deduct on the completion of sale.

If you're worried then I'd be asking for a Gas Engineer with G3 to check over the appliances (at your expense) prior to purchase and if major works are required, seek a reduction in purchase price. Stack, you're assuming there, again, I'd be getting into the loft to look for myself. Doesn't have to be a visible stack vent, some can be vented via a ridge vent.

Sponsored Links
That says more about you than it does me...only a certain type would take advantage of the vulnerable..

Debatable. I didn't know of their family circumstances when I viewed the house!!! However, I was their only offer but that doesn't mean i'm going to push the sale/ purchase through just because I feel sorry for them!

the reason why your buying the house is because you think is a good deal so why fook it up for £150 ( in your opinion );) and as for the fire thats mostly the norm .

the reason why your buying the house is because you think is a good deal so why fook it up for £150 ( in your opinion );) and as for the fire thats mostly the norm .

The principal behind this is fine. But if there is a fault or replacement needed, it's a lot more than just £150 needed.

Would I be unreasonable to ask for the 3 appliances to be serviced and paid for by the vendor.
It may not be unreasonable, but if they arrange the service/repair, do you expect they will get the best person available to do a proper and thorough job, or the cheapest they can find at short notice who is willing to scribble on some piece of paper to say all is well?

a sulphurous smell in the loft.
Could be many things or nothing at all.

No service to the boiler for at least 2 years.
Fairly typical, and really means nothing. A boiler that was 'serviced' last week could fall to pieces tomorrow. Or it could go on for years.

Cylinder could not be inspected due to stored belongings.
Even without the stored belongings, what exactly do you expect a visual inspection to reveal?

No service to the gas fire for at least 10 years!!
Same as the boiler. General attitudes are if it works, why bother doing anything to it.
It could be fine. Or a deadly deathtrap with blocked flue, non existent room ventilation and so on. It may not have been used for 10 years. Or ever.

Buying a house = caveat emptor, and assume the vendor is a lying scumbag who has everything to hide.

House is beat part of £350000
so you like the house ( which took time to find ) and obviously think its a good price so why cut off your own nose and cause drama for yourself ( draw the process out ) and others for £150, or very worse case scenario a new system ( very unlikely ) which would benefit yourself anyway .

why cause the drama ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back