Resurfacing naff stained wood veneer doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to turn a lot of dark stained wood veneer internal doors into plain surfaced ones. The problem is when I take off the fancy decorative beading/moulding, no matter how much I fill and sand, the marks where the beading was still show through. Anyone know of a product like a vinyl or veneer skin that you could stick on the door? Any ideas much appreciated as I have 11 of these to do!

Sponsored Links
I don't quite follow you.

Do you mean that you are removing pinned on mouldings from blank veneered doors and then hoping to paint them?

If yes- Unfortunately anywhere that you use filler will fill in the grain and stick out like a sore thumb.

I did once have a client who asked me to back fill all of her doors with 2 pack filler (which I did). It was bonkers, it would have been far cheaper to fit new doors.

You can re-veneer the doors if you want to.

I have no idea where the best place to buy the veneer is though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Pre-Glued-Veneer-2500mm-300mm/dp/B00BRVQRB2

The above is an iron on veneer but only 300mm wide. Hopefully others can provide you with better recommendations.

Yes, I removed the glued on mouldings. You have understood what I'm trying to do, wanting to get a smooth modern painted surface to these doors. It certainly does look awful no matter how much I fill and sand where the glue was.
You are definitely on the right tracks with the iron-on veneer. Have you tried it? I obviously need bigger size for doors, but that's the sort of thing I was hoping existed out there....

Sponsored Links
Ok, now that we know what you want to do, hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

I have never done what you are trying to do but another alternative would be to use Formica (or something similar)

eg https://www.idsurfaces.co.uk/laminate-and-compact/

Formica is normally applied over a flat surface that has been covered with contact adhesive. Contact adhesive has no slip though. You buy a sheet slightly larger than needed and carefully lower it on to the door, rolling flat as you go. You then need to trim the excess off. Normally one would use a router but there are lower tech options.

Whichever you go for, you may need to let the hinges out slightly as you are are making the door slightly thicker. Aternatively, you remove the door stops and set them back. Not a 5 minute job though either way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back