Resurrecting long dead threads

P

potshot

Tried to email admin unsuccessfully on this topic but why doesn't admin 'Lock' all threads over a year old then they cannot be revived. If a point is worth reviving then a new thread should be started

It might be useful to have an archive of the older good threads and delete the cr*p thus cutting down on storage needed.

Sponsored Links
Tried to email admin unsuccessfully on this topic .

Tried that, been there done that.

Seems it depends on which way the wind is blowing

admin said:
I wont get into the reply to old posts issue, though it might interest you to hear that I intend to add a warning message for people replying to old messages e.g. this message is x old. Are you sure you want to reply?

as i knew, it doesnt work.

i joined as a n other person to make sure, i was able to reply to a post with no warning what so ever

I replied to the oldest post on DiyNot as it was some sort of landmark :LOL: It got wiped out 10mins later :confused:

that will be the mods, but as you see from my quote, it is supposed to bring up a pop warning, which only applies for your first say 10 posts, so i created a new user and tried, nothing happend

Sponsored Links
Potshot, when you say you tried to email admin unsuccessfully, what do you mean? We have never received an email from you.

Doitall, was that recently?

Breezer, the warning hasn't been implemented yet.

Reasonably recent Moaban.

Probably about 3-4 months. time goes too quick :LOL:

Cannot remember if it was the Diynot anniversary or the number of posts, there was something special about it.

Went create message, typed it out and hit send message and it returned to my inbox, nothing in sent messages - just disappeared into the ether - so I posted a thread

I see, was this a couple of days ago - before Thursday May 01, 2008 at about 10:30 am ? :D

I think the reason people reply to long dead topics is that they do not realize how old the topics are.

How about showing the date (Month and Year would be enough) the topic was created, preferably as a separate column (make the "Topic" and "Similar Topic" columns narrower); but, if not possible, in the "Author" box?

D_Hailsham, don't waste your time.
admin have no problem with replying to old posts, admin will not talk to me regarding this subject as over the years I have brought it up umpteen times, only to get the same answer.

Its stupid to allow it but thats what admin want

an email from admin back in 2007

"You are still trying to convince me that replies to old posts should be removed/locked/whatever. You are wasting your time, I have made my feelings abundantly clear"

I agree whole heartedly agree with you and everyone else ( i never started this thread)

admin have never come up with a 100% valid answer as to why you should be able to reply to old posts.

The forum is littered with replies to old posts, there really is no point since the OP has posted and gone never to return but the NP is expecting a reply, then in frustration they will post again breaking the duplicate posts rule.

Admin got so fed up the "do not reply to old posts rule" was removed.

I wonder how long before this vanishes

I don't see a problem with it to be honest.

We encourage posters to use the search engine, to find similar problems to theirs, then slate them for Resurrecting old posts. :eek:

not quite true.

people are asked to search to see if their question has been asked before, they are not asked to resurect old posts.

Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki

It doesnt say

Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki, then resurect an old post. does it

Yes i am being pedantic on that one, but NP's will reply to old posts genuinely expecting a reply from the OP which they will never get since the OP has usualy "left the building"

I would have no problem if an NP typed i have a similar problem to this post can any one help. But they don't, they just go ahead and resurect an old post.

The other one is an NP will resurect an old post with something like " qst means that your appliance is (what ever)

The thing with that type of resurection is agian with the OP in that the post will have been made months or years ago and so has fixed / resolved the problem and so does not visit the forums. (some one did and replied thanks but i have since got a new (what ever)

At the time of posting this ther are 81216 registered users, how may of them would you say are regulars? 10 -20 or even 100.
The regulars are the ones who keep the forum going with the regulars there would be question after question and no answers. yes some people do join and give a good answer but they do not become a regular, but if all the regulars stopped posting and no new regulars joined this forum would soon stop.

What you seem to be forgetting breezer is that this site is a business at the end of the day.

Every time someone replies to an old post, the other contributors get a notification via email. As you said, some of them will have moved on and forgotten about the site and this would bring it back in their mind sublimally. The curiosity value would cause them to visit the site so generating more traffic.

More traffic = higher advertising revenue.

The site owner knows what he is doing! ;)

Sorry, not forgetting that, its not a business at the end of the day.

It was started as a "fun thing to do"

It had no adverts, so no revenue coming in, due to the popularity of it it has had two server upgrades, it now runs on its own dedicated server. (no it does not sit in admins front room, or the back room etc)

Adverts were brought in to help pay for the band width it uses, this forum does make money via the Google ads, but Google don't pay that much / per click (sign up and find out)

The money Google does cough up pays for the bandwidth usage and not a lot else, sorry but this is not run as a business.

You know who has a day time job too. since this forum does cost a lot to run

Sponsored Links
Back