Retaining wall and sinking path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again

Im looking for some advice and ideas on what to do about this wall and path,
I would like to do the repair as cheap as possible but don't wont to bodge it.

The path has sunk about 3' on the house side due to the loose non compacted hardcore underneath.
The retaining wall has about a 2m section that is leaning out by 2' and has a crack in it. I am planning to demolish and rebuild this 2m section which is under the steps, The rest of the wall has a quarter inch lean that I was planning to leave.

What would you guys do? Im thinking of leaving the old path in place (maybe just breaking it up 1st) putting a wooden wall plate on the house and some posts on the wall and then rebuilding the path with decking rather than putting any more weight on this area.

All ideas and comments welcome

IMG_2242_zps0e8eae5a.jpg

IMG_2280_zps8c257340.jpg

IMG_2282_zps2fd467d0.jpg

IMG_2285_zpsd7d7b1fe.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why leave that big rubbish collection space there?
Just pour it with concrete to the top. Won't be moving after that!

Between the garage and the wall? That is the neighbors side so I dought they would be too happy with that. Also that would cost a fortune in concrete

Sponsored Links
Has the party wall also moved before you took it down? It looks like the whole lot got to be removed and maybe decent footings laid.

Hi
The retaining wall is the boundary. The footings seem fine as the wall isn't sinking at all.
It looks to me and a few other as if the builders just throw all there rubbish between the wall and the house before concreting the path over the top.

We think it is the path sinking and twisting that is pushing the retaining wall over.
Most of the wall is fine (only a quarter inch lean) except for the area under the steps which has a 2' lean

What if you take out the rubble and concrete path, put it to one side, excavate the soil under the path, then chuck the hardcore back in but use a sledge on it and break it up a bit more then scalpings, followed by half to dust and after that's whacked down the finish of your choice.

I don't see how else you are going to cure it.

Just add onto pred post, put in MOT 1 in between the hardcore then compact it. The hardcore is too big therefore movements problem

Just add onto pred post, put in MOT 1 in between the hardcore then compact it. The hardcore is too big therefore movements problem

Aw come on! I did say use a sledge, my second favorit tool, #1 being "The Breaker Bar" :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back