Retaining Wall - Expense of Footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that it is nearly impossible to give prices on anything to do with building work without first looking at the work to be done, but I need some kind of rough, ball-park figure estimate to make sure I'm not about to be ripped off.

To explain:-

I have builders doing work on my 2 retaining walls. They are approx 6 feet and 10 feet high respectively. The builder is a member of the FMB and has been very good so far. The total cost of the work was quoted at £4500.

The outer 10 foot wall is built but now the builder is telling me that he needs to put in footings and posts for the second wall. He wont tell me how much this will cost yet. He only said that if I pay for the current work done £2000 IN CASH then he can get me a cheap deal on the extra cost.

I need to be sure I'm not being ripped off - That if he says maybe it will cost £500 extra he isn't overpricing. I'm also really apprehensive about handing over £2000 in cash, especially since drawing out that amount of money poses a big security risk. I'd rather pay by cheque as its more secure and if the cost isn't too high I'd rather not go for a cheeper deal just for my own peace of mind.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Sponsored Links
Don't follow you. You were quoted £4500 for two walls, one of which is complete. Where does the extra cost come from?

Also, ten feet high is a substantial retaining wall. Who designed the wall?

I actually got part of the first post wrong. I just got clarification from the builder.

The builder is saying that there are extra footings and posts needed on the FIRST wall. That is what he wants to charge me extra for. He wont / cant tell me how much this extra cost will be. I don't know why and the fact that he won't / can't tell me outright how much extra it would be is making me nervous.

We had both walls looked at by a structural engineer on behalf of our insurance company (who aren't paying out BTW) who gave us brief design sketches to work to. The first wall (which was bulging really badly and close to falling down) was rebuilt on the existing foundations / footings. The second wall (which is leaning) will be only a partial rebuild from below the lean. I believe the extra footings and posts are to reinforce the foundation of the first wall. Since I know absoultely nothing about building work I could be wrong, however.

Sponsored Links
O.K. Builder just got back to me and gave me a price for the extra work. Its quite minimal compared to what I was expecting so I'm not so worried now.

Whether to pay him half the quote by cash or not is a seperate issue...

Thanks for the quick reply to this post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back