Retaining wall hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a house with a good size unconventional garden.

It's got 6/7 different levels with some very precarious sheer drops that I'm trying to make safe for my toddler.

We back on to a privately owned disused church path and I just want to know who I should be getting in to ask about the work and the practicalities of digging it out.

My first and most pressing concern is that the whole thing is being retained at the bottom level by rotting timbers. With tree roots growing through it to boot. I'm unsure what I can do go get this sorted so any advice in how to sure this up that maybe doesn't rely on wood would be appreciated.

Next I want to have 3 levels I don't mind adding more stuff in or digging stuff out but the hodgepodge at the top has to go so I can fence it off and be safe for my 2 year old.

3rd how do you go about making steps less steep. Extend the run? But what's the maths between step height and overall height you climb.

I'll just post some pics hopefully you can give me some ideas or advice. Last pic is other side of the wall ifs base is slightly higher tha my garden.
1000021169.jpg

1000021158.jpg
1000021159.jpg
1000021160.jpg
1000021162.jpg

1000021164.jpg
1000021165.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you post some photos from further away, I can't work out where the wooden ones fit in with the block ones.

Sponsored Links
Can anybody offer any advice on what I should do with this. I'm getting a rather sinking feeling it is going to be a massive costly job to make safe.

Has anybody any experience in replacing similar timber frames holding the whole thing together.

Is the white stuff on the face of the bricks just lycan/mould or is that concrete salt stuff from moisture sat behind. Don't understand how it would be standing moisture if the timber bit is free draining.

Also I lifted up some of the flags that are all loose and ifs just boulders and broken up flags underneath.

1000021195.jpg

Yes, it's going to be a lot of manual labour to change that to 3 levels.

If you don't want the toddler climbing all over it then you could build a pen for them to play in until you can work out a plan.

Don't understand how it would be standing moisture if the timber bit is free draining.
Most of the concrete walls have that white stuff on, even some distance from the timber crib section. I wouldn't expect one small section to make much difference elsewhere.
That stone wall at the top doesn't have any on though - probably a clue about what material to use if you're not keen on the white stuff.

I don't know what the expected service life of timber crib retaining walls is but timber outdoors always rots in the end. Good luck repairing the individual timbers without digging it all out.

Yes, it's going to be a lot of manual labour to change that to 3 levels.

If you don't want the toddler climbing all over it then you could build a pen for them to play in until you can work out a plan.

Most of the concrete walls have that white stuff on, even some distance from the timber crib section. I wouldn't expect one small section to make much difference elsewhere.
That stone wall at the top doesn't have any on though - probably a clue about what material to use if you're not keen on the white stuff.

I don't know what the expected service life of timber crib retaining walls is but timber outdoors always rots in the end. Good luck repairing the individual timbers without digging it all out.
Honestly you don't know how helpful you calling it a timber crib retaining wall is. I'm finally able to Google it! Thank you.

Regarding the other stuff i think I'm just going to get a skip and start digging from the lowest bit of the top level sections, chisel out the blocks and dig it it all out then reflag it and fence it off.

The church wall doesn't look like it's going to fall down any time soon and I'm only digging up around 800mm so I will just have a small retaining section around the outskirts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back