Retaining Wall Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was looking for some advice regarding a retaining wall i am building in my garden. It is going to be around 1.3m high and i was planning on having the foundations 500mm wide and 225mm deep.

For the wall itself i am going to be using concrete blocks 100mm x 215mm x 440mm laid flat so the wall would be 215mm wide.......is this wide enough for this height and are my footings sufficient.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
sounds ok for a relatively low retainig wall.
I built some retaining walls in London for an underground squash court, with conkers laid flat and a strong 6-1 mix, one had to be moved later, (not my fault) and even the digger couldn't smash it up, it took weeks to kango it out, oh boy was it strong.
you could possibly go a bit deeper on the trench.
Don't forget to put some weep holes in, or trap some pipe in the wall to duct any water through.

If you're planning on parking any vehicles on the retained side, nope. If just garden, it's likely to be ok, as long as the bearing soil is good.

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies guys. No vehicles on the retained part and the bearing soil is solid clay..

thanks
again
Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back