Retaining wall - What is the right approach to solve this issue ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an outbuilding at the bottom of my garden, please see the pictures below. At the back of the outbuilding is a fence and behind hte fence is a school field. At the level of the fence, the soil is a little higher than my garden level, say 300 - 400mm at worse case.

I am a little worried on 2 things.

1) I dont want the soil caving in and causing damage to the outbuilding.
2) The outbuilding is a proper construction, with 700mm of foundation, DPC etc. I do not want
water ingress due to poor design, so in view of this I constructed a retaining wall, this was just a simple 4 inch concrete block since it wasnt very high. I then left a cavity trench between it and the outbuilding.

I would like to know what should be done about this design to prevent the issues highlighted above and how it should be designed.

Thanks in advance.

Lastly, the outbuilding is not subject to building regs although built to builidng regs standard, can someone please advise on the benefits of making it subject to building regs, I was of the view that since it is not intended to be lived in full time, one is just wasting money paying building regs inspection etc.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-14 at 17.35.29.jpeg

Retaining_rear_wall.jpeg

Retaining_rear_wall_neighbour_side.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back