Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
looking for some advice on a wall that I need building.

The requirement is to build a wall to enable me to install a double parking spot at the front of my house. The front garden slopes down, the height of the wall at the end of the driveway would be about 6ft high, then obviosuly the side of the driveway would be sourrounded by walls that step up to the road.

Would this be as simple as building a fairly simple wall with some decent footings and filling it in? Or will it be more complicated than this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
The wall and footing needs to be designed correctly to avoid failure.

So long as you are not contravening any planning laws, covenants or conservation laws etc, then crack on.

Don't forget to fence off any deep foundations next to a public footpath.

No issues with planning or what not, the council have just kindly dropped by kerb for a not insubstantial fee to allow me to do it.

The question is as much as anything over the design to avoid failure tbh!

Need a structural engineer for that beasty really. Can be RC or blockwork but needs to be designed rather than guessed on a forum.

Sponsored Links
hmmm ok, I want to do the work myself, given I have virtually no budget to work with, but at the same time I do need it doing correctly.

I will have to try and get some advice locally.

Thanks for your advice though!

Shouldn't be too much for a one man band type of fella to knock up a quick design. Failures of retaining walls are all too common and a beasty of that size on a highway can easily kill if it goes over. You never know, you could even save some money if his design comes out more slender than you were imagining!

/yea right! :mrgreen:

An 18" block wall will probably hold it though I wouldn't put any stamp of approval on it. Blocks are for neanderthals.
Were doing one at the moment 30 x 3.3 x 0.3m. RC. :mrgreen:
4 days work.

An 18" block wall will probably hold it though I wouldn't put any stamp of approval on it. Blocks are for neanderthals.
4 days work.

Thats the knid of thing I was picturing in my head Norcon. I am seeking slightly more expert advice from the geeks at work though they are more used to designing hospitals than Garden walls!

The design of a retaining wall is no less important than any other structure and falls within professional design criteria.

However, you could plump for over-design and go for ultra safe, but this could be expensive.

As Norcon has said, at the base 450mm wide blocks laid end on will probably hold it, lessening the thickness as the wall rises.

The foundation though would be mahoosive wide at this thickness and would need to be to prevent any risk of tipping.

Poured concrete reinforced retainers are much more slender but, i'm sure Norcon would agree, requires an expert degree of skill and knowhow and are not really diy suitable.

I'm sure your friends at work will provide you with a feasible design and underwrite the risk with their liability insurance.

4 days work.

Thats the knid of thing I was picturing in my head Norcon. I am seeking slightly more expert advice from the geeks at work though they are more used to designing hospitals than Garden walls!
You have to pay for expert advice, you'll never get it off a forum or for free. Retaining walls and other structural beastys can only be approached that way. That or you opt for a heavy handed approach as noseall suggested but that can be more expensive overall.

I'm on message. Thanks all.

As with all projects I undertake I like to scope all the requirements out myself first, then get them confirmed by people who actually know what they are doing. That way I can fully understand where the experts are coming from and ensure I am not being conned!

"Being fore warned is being fore armed"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back