Retiled roof - slates slipping out..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had roof re-tiled in 2014 and posted here, at the time, with a few issues:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-roof-slates-angled-tilted.413618/

However, as per the thread title, since that time a number of the tiles (all along the same horizontal row) about half way up have been 'slipping' out - basically where they would have re-laid up to from the last thread. To me it looked like this row had just been slid-under and relied on the weight of the above tiles to hold in-place - I had to lean out of the skylight to push them back and wedge them but no evidence of nails in pre-drilled holes (i.e. if they had missed rafters). During the last visit (about a year ago) I watched what they were doing from one of the skylights and they used some liquid & spray (guessing a type of two-part resin) to secure them. When asked, was told only other alternative would be to remove tiles back up to the top and re-lay - but assured this was a new method. They also used this to 'fasten down' the flashings for the sky-light as this had risen.

Became a bit wary a couple of months ago (probably freezing weather) when noticed the flashings had 'popped-back-up' but assumed the 'resin' was designed for slates.

This morning just noticed a tile has fully slipped out and in the gutter. It looks to have come from the same 'row' but is on the far side of the roof so not certain if this would have been the original problem or signs of some other poor workmanship.

Have sent an e-Mail to company but wondering if any advice, don't want to annoy them but rather worried a tile may hit somebody or parked cars.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Well As you already know its a shoddy job.
Sticking slates back in is not good practice and short lived.
I favour Hallhooks ..

As you have one full slate out, can you post a picture of the slate and importantly a zoomed in picture of the area it slipped from. i am curious as to nail type used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back