Retiling my bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tiles part of my bathroom and I unhappy with the outcome so I removed the tiles. I tiled on Marmox tile baker boards using Makeker flex rapidset. The tiles came off clean and the adhesive is firmly stuck to the boards. I used ceramic crackle glaze tiles http://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/cat...que-metro-crackle-glaze-tiles-bastille/17346/

The Makeker flex rapidset set too quickly so I would like to get another adhesive but the question is which flexible cement base adhesive I should use? BAL are highly rated but which of their adhesives should I go for?

Sponsored Links
Rapid set adhesive is what it says & has a rather short pot life which can cause problems if you’re inexperienced. If the addy has stuck to the boards but not the tiles, it sounds like the boards sucked too much moisture out of the adhesive before you had a chance to lay the tiles. This can be due to any or all of the following; too stiff a mix, adhesive skinning/going off in the bucket, not cleaning bucket/tools properly between mixes, using the wrong size trowel, applying adhesive to too large an area, working too slowly. Once the adhesive starts to skin, you’ve basically had it.

With tiles that size you can use a decent flexy tub mix & you don’t need a rapid set adhesive, it’s only going to be an advantage on that size tile if you want to grout the same day. I would generally use BAL White Star for tiles that size.

I appreciate you now have a problem but tiling over the adhesive isn’t a great idea & not something I would do it but if it’s well stuck on & perfectly flat you may get away with it.

Rapid set adhesive is what it says & has a rather short pot life which can cause problems if you’re inexperienced. If the addy has stuck to the boards but not the tiles, it sounds like the boards sucked too much moisture out of the adhesive before you had a chance to lay the tiles. This can be due to any or all of the following; too stiff a mix, adhesive skinning/going off in the bucket, not cleaning bucket/tools properly between mixes, using the wrong size trowel, applying adhesive to too large an area, working too slowly. Once the adhesive starts to skin, you’ve basically had it.
I am inexperienced so it looks like I am learning the hard way! But I don't think the adhesive skinned before I tiled.

The tiles did stick but when I prized them off the wall most came off clean with a bit of a struggle. So it looks like the adhesive stuck to the tiles but more so to the tile backer. I applied the adhesive on relatively small areas.

What size trowel should I use?

I appreciate you now have a problem but tiling over the adhesive isn’t a great idea & not something I would do it but if it’s well stuck on & perfectly flat you may get away with it.
The adhesive is flat and I can sand it off and score it before re-tailing. Have I got any other options?

Have I got any other options?
Probably not what you want to hear; replace the boards :cry:

If you’re going to attempt tiling over, remove any high spots, I wouldn’t worry about scoring the surface but acrylic prime attempting a re-tile with tub mix.

Over the new boards, you should have used a solid thin bed trowel - 10mm tapering notches, 5mm deep, at 12.5mm centres. But if the boards are now uneven, you may need a slightly deeper notch but don’t put tub addy on too thick or it won’t set.

Sponsored Links
Probably not what you want to hear; replace the boards :cry:
Oh dear!

If you’re going to attempt tiling over, remove any high spots, I wouldn’t worry about scoring the surface but use acrylic prime attempting a re-tile with tub mix.
What good trade acrylic primer would you recommend, preferably one that's sold at screwfix or tops tiles

Over the new boards, you should have used a solid thin bed trowel - 10mm tapering notches, 5mm deep, at 12.5mm centres. But if the boards are now uneven, you may need a slightly deeper notch
Any of these trowels suitable? http://www.screwfix.com/p/ragni-r319-8-tilers-trowel/87630 http://www.screwfix.com/p/ragni-r319-8-tilers-trowel/87630

but don’t put tub addy on too thick or it won’t set.
The boards are pretty even so I don't need to to use more adhesive. How thick should I lay the adhesive ideally?

What good trade acrylic primer would you recommend, preferably one that's sold at screwfix or tops tiles
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/prime-apd
Topps should have it but they aren’t particularly cheap for DIY.

This one should do you; http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-adhesive-trowel-square-notched-6mm/43906
Spread the adhesive evenly over the tile area using the plain edge but don’t worry about the adhesive being too deep at this stage. Pull the trowel firmly across at an angle 45 degrees & horizontal to the wall (assuming your laying them short edge vertical) to give a series of adhesive ridges. Place the tile in position using a slight twisting motion to bed it into the adhesive. Only put adhesive over an area you can tile over in approximately 2-3 minutes.
How thick should I lay the adhesive ideally?
See above; using the correct size notched trowel will give you the right depth of adhesive. You need 100% adhesive coverage under the tile in wet areas which should be possible with the trowel I selected. Pull one of the first tiles off the wall to check coverage, you can adjust the adhesive depth slightly if necessary by increasing the angle of the trowel to the wall.

One last question if I may: My bathtub sits along the wall which needs to be tiled. But the edge of the bath isn't completely straight, i.e., the corners of the bath rise 1mm or 2mm to prevent splashes form dripping onto the floor. Here's the problem: I can leave a 2mm gap between the tiles at the middle section of the bath. But the gap will be closed by the rising edge at the corner of the bath leaving no gap which I then wont be able to seal. What's the solution?

Yes use a tile file or wet cutter; so are you tiling up from the bath starting with whole (uncut) tiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back