Retro fitting drainage holes in retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post so hello to everyone. :D

The boys forgot to install drainage holes in the retaining wall they built along two sides of our garden. The wall is made from brieze block, a cavity, then concrete blocks made to look like reconstituted stone. There is rubble filled behind the wall topped with soil.

Is it possible for me to now retro fit some drainage holes and how do I go about it please.

The obvious thing to me would be to drill holes and fit plastic pipe in them. Is this right or is there a better way? If so what tools (drill type and bit) should I use, what size of hole do I need, and how many. What type and size of pipe or other hole liner do I need. How do I actually drill the holes (ie without breaking up the blocks), and is there anything else to bear in mind?

Quite a list of questions I know but I thought it was best to try getting everything in one go!

Any help very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Static said:
The obvious thing to me would be to drill holes and fit plastic pipe in them.
Yep.. thats about it.. whats in the cavity? concrete?

At the moment air, but when the drainage holes are fitted I plan to fill in with concrete, if this is the right thing to do.

My questions boil down to:

what size holes and how many

how do I make the holes, so what type of drill, bit etc

and

is there any technique I need to be aware of to minimise the risk of breaking the concrete blocks and brieze blocks

Sponsored Links
markthebuilder said:
How high and how long is the wall

It is 1.5 metres high and L shaped: 7 metres long then 6 metres. The shorter side tapers down from full height to ground level.

Any ideas on how to drill these holes without breaking up the blocks?

Should I fill the cavity with concrete before or after I drill the holes and put in the pipes? I can see that drilling through the empty cavity might be easier although the concrete might help the blocks keep together when I drill?

My main concern is not cracking the blocks when drilling. Should I drill guide holes (eg about 5mm) before the main core?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back