Retrofit some level of rodent protection on plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a rural property where the prior owners unfortunately cut a few corners with an extension. Upshot is there's a few long plastic pipe runs (water and central heating) in the loft. All insulated - but with the inevitable rodent chew marks on insulation now and then. Swapping to copper would be expensive and messy - several rooms would need new plasterboard/decorating.

I regularly bait the loft (and swap poison type every 6 months) - but I'm looking for something I could potentially retrofit around the pipes bearing in mind it will need to slip over and around the pipes as all in situ.

I appreciate nothing will be 100% effective - but if it provides additional protection I'm happy to maintain/replace it if needed. I was thinking some speedfit conduit would help - though I'd need to cut it lengthways - but open to and appreciate any ideas!

Sponsored Links
One of the reasons I hate Lego plumbing! Only suggestion I have is to form a box around the pipe with anything ply, hardboard, plastic gutter, timber etc and stuff the box with coarse steel wool. Steel wool is one way to discourage vermin from coming in holes etc so might well work for you. Or maybe simply wrapping steel wool around and tying in place with wire might work.

I found they love grey foam pipe insulation and are also partial to the bubble-wrap/foil style.
As for wire wool I tried that for many years but they ignored it.
In the end I moved (not for that reason) but the new owner has 4 cats and no rodent problem!
Conclusion, get one or more cats :)

Sponsored Links
I found they love grey foam pipe insulation and are also partial to the bubble-wrap/foil style.
As for wire wool I tried that for many years but they ignored it.
In the end I moved (not for that reason) but the new owner has 4 cats and no rodent problem!
Conclusion, get one or more cats :)
Thanks! I've already got 2 cats that certainly help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back