Reusing joists (probable stupid questions)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've 22 joists (pine 200mm x 50mm x 3600mm) that I've just removed from their RSJ supports (trying to straighten everything up before I install new floors/ceilings/walls).

Being tight with money I intend to reuse them.

My question - is there any reason to replace them with new ones?

I ask because I imagine I'll stay in this house till death (hopefuly another forty years).

I believe the joists to be 31 years old (when the house was renovated)and they seem in good condition though they are quite dry and three have twisted.

A second question - if I reuse them, is it OK bash wood between adjacent joists to straighten the twisted ones?

They seem to have had criss-cross pieces of wood to hold them in place before, but these had all fallen off. Can I use chunky bits of joist crossing between joists to keep them straight?

I know these seem like stupid questions, but it'd be a real pain to take everything back up 'cos I did it wrong.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they're are sound then no reason not to. I'd give them a coat of timber preservative first for good measure. Solid blocking with noggins between is essential.

They are probably better timber than you get today. I'd probably replace any that are badly twisted as that will prove a false economy.
You could use some of the twisted timbers as noggins.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back