Reversing a Yale lock and other stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Just bought a bungalow which had an old and very basic rim lock on the garage side door, and I've decided to fit a more secure night latch instead. First issue: the door opens outwards so I needed to reverse the bolt. Checked a video on YT which shows the bolt on a Yale 89 being reversed, so followed the instructions. Unfortunately, now that its been reversed the bolt sticks unless I leave the screws out of the backing plate that sits immediately on top of the lock innards. Even then, the bolt still has an occasional tendency to stick. Is there an obvious solution to this?

Secondly, the keep for the lock is preformed in the concrete door frame of the garage side door. Having fitted the lock as best I could to strike in the right place, there's a gap between bolt and keep edge and the door rattles. Sounds like a simple problem but I'm struggling for a solution. What can I use to pack out the concrete keep in order to take the slack and make the lock tighter? I'm thinking there must be a filler of some sort that sticks to ancient concrete.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you may have snibbed it shut or iff its a dead lock half a turn out

you may have snibbed it shut or iff its a dead lock half a turn out
It withdraws into the lock when pushed or when the handle is turned, but sometimes it doesn't spring back out again. I think its catching on the backplate, presumably because of the slightly different profile of the bolt mechanism when reversed.

i wonder iff you have to flip the cam as different on each face so flip the bolt and cam at the same time so the mating faces are the same
having said that its long time since i opened a yale so may be confused :oops:

Sponsored Links
i wonder iff you have to flip the cam as different on each face so flip the bolt and cam at the same time so the mating faces are the same
having said that its long time since i opened a yale so may be confused :oops:
I've have another look at the bolt in case I've missed something, and thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back