reversing motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 3 phase motor. whats the easiest way to reverse L2/L3 so it runs in reverse? 2NO+2NC contactor? (i havent done much with 3 phase)

and no, this is not for exam/AM2 etc

Sponsored Links
A DOL starter with a reverse function.

It has two 3 pole contactors, the outputs of which are commoned up, before they hit the overload. The supply to both contactors is also commoned up, except on one contactor the L1 and L2 are reversed. Two green start buttons, one forward, one reverse.

There is also a 'fourth auxiliary' pole which opens when the contactor energises. This is in series with the start button of the opposite contactor. This prevents the second contactor from energising.

Swapping ANY two phases of a 3 phase motor will reverse the direction.

seems reasonable just make damn sure that the thing can't cause a phase-phase short during switching.

if manual switching is acceptable you could use a switch sold for supply changeover.

Lectrician said:
A DOL starter with a reverse function.

It has two 3 pole contactors, the outputs of which are commoned up, before they hit the overload. The supply to both contactors is also commoned up, except on one contactor the L1 and L2 are reversed. Two green start buttons, one forward, one reverse.

There is also a 'fourth auxiliary' pole which opens when the contactor energises. This is in series with the start button of the opposite contactor. This prevents the second contactor from energising.

Swapping ANY two phases of a 3 phase motor will reverse the direction.

i kno how to reverse it, just wasnt sure of the easiest way to reverse the phases. how do i connect it to the mains? i.e can the 3 phase be connected to the motor via isolator (altho this will only turn 1 way)?

Sponsored Links
can the 3 phase motor be connected to the 3 phase supply via a contactor or does it need something else?

AFAIK, the motor in question is connected via a contactor

Lectrician said:
A Motor should generally be protected by a DOL starter.

what exactly does a DOL starter do?

ATM, its connected via a contactor so it can be reversed. its all workin fine, and wont be running all the time (,ayb 30-45 seconds on, few mins off)

A DOL starter (dirct on line) is basically a contactor with an overload incorporated. The overload is selected depending on the FLC of the motor (full load current). The overload is adjustable to half an amp usually.

If the motor is mechanically overloaded, the current rises, and the overload will 'trip' the contactor and turn the supply off.

Some motors also have thermistors burried in the windings, and these can be incorporated into the control circuit to trip the contactor if the windings overheat.

A DOL starter has a green and red button on the front of the enclosure, and the contactor and overload inside.

An MCB will offer little protection against mechanical overload of a motor.

Lectrician said:
A DOL starter (dirct on line) is basically a contactor with an overload incorporated. The overload is selected depending on the FLC of the motor (full load current). The overload is adjustable to half an amp usually.

If the motor is mechanically overloaded, the current rises, and the overload will 'trip' the contactor and turn the supply off.

Some motors also have thermistors burried in the windings, and these can be incorporated into the control circuit to trip the contactor if the windings overheat.

A DOL starter has a green and red button on the front of the enclosure, and the contactor and overload inside.

An MCB will offer little protection against mechanical overload of a motor.

thanx. thought it was summit like that. the motor is very unlikely to get overloaded

Extra question:

the motor is 5.5KW. is that 5.5KW per phase or total of all phases?

Total. But beware that the current in any one winding may not be as you expect, depending if it is delta or star wound internally.
Of course, once the currents have combined, the current in any one phase will be 1/3 of the total, but this may split into 2 wires each to 415, which each appear to carry about 2/3 of the total (but not in phase - thats the point).. or down one wire to a central pseudo neutral (which on some machines is used to power 240v indicators, if the lamp load is 'small' compared with the winding loads -avoids the need for a neutral core in the supply)

Map, what are you drivelling about? (Ignore comment..posted when underthe influence)

The current in a winding of a 3 Phase motor is square root of 3, or 1.732, the full rating of the motor.

In this case 5.5kW = 5500/400 = 13.75A / sq3(1.732) = 7.938A per phase This is the current in the supply NOT the winding, did not make this clear, apologies.

Where is this "pseudo neutral" you speak of on a 3 phase supply? You either have a Neutral, if you have a TP&N supply, or you do not. Indicators on pure 3 phase systems are often 400V rated lamps etc that operate across phases. If there are electronics in the machine then it usually has a true neutral, but this is not always the case as they have a power Tx's that operate at 400V across phases and the electronics use the Earthed casing to provide the ground for the contols etc just as a computer does.

FWL, what are you drivelling about?

The current in a winding of a 3 Phase delta connected motor is 1/3 watts/volts, assuming 100% PF and efficiency.

In this case 5.5kW = 5500/400 = 13.75A / 3 = 4.58A per winding, plus PF plus losses. Note that the current in a winding is NOT the same as the current in the phase conductor of the supply.

Most three phase motors are not connected internally but, as suggested by mapj1 have all 6 terminations available. If this were not so, you would not have the option of connecting a star-delta starter. Connected in delta, each of the windings carries 1/3 the total current and the ends of two windings are connected to each phase. But that does not mean that the supply current per phase is 2/3 the total because the phase of the current in the two windings is different. Indeed, the supply current in the example is 7.94 A (plus PF & losses).

The correct full load current, including losses and PF, is normally included on the nameplate.

Many apologies, should not post when ****ed....misread map1j's post and then cocked up my reply... :oops:

As regards the use of the star point as a pseudo-neutral, for a small load, when no neutral is supplied, I have certainly seen this done on American 3 phase equipment, actully, now I remember it better I have feeling the whole thing was fed by a 3 phase auto- transformer primary, rather than a true motor load, and it was the non-existant neutral at the star point of this transformer that was used. I do remember being a bit surprised not to find a phase-phase double wound transformer.
It worked as the off balance load was only a few % of the full 3 phase load.
I'm not saying its a good thing - just that you may find things like this, particularly in imported apparatus designed for the north american market, and not to be too surprised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back