Revisiting CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit over 3 years ago I queried CCTV for a small system :

This was driven by a spate of unknown intrusions into my garden. I never did get around to doing anything about it as it seemed to have stopped when COVID came along and we were all working from home.
The good lady has talked of a Ring doorbell or similar so she can see who is at the front door. This got me thinking again about full CCTV.
Hikvision from my usual go-to place no longer seems available - I think the cheaper HiLook is available though.
The only change to my orignal though was to use PoE instead of PoC and be able to access via smartphone
I have seen ANNKE and the video image looks OK. Any newer recommendations based on the need for PoE?
One main question would be the NVR connection to the internet ... do I need hardwire to the routr or can it be done by WIFI?

Sponsored Links
Would avoid ANNKE , some of the parts are made by hikvision I believe, it is better to hardwire the NVR to the router but I have used the TP link plug in WiFi repeaters with the Ethernet port and they have been fine…

Would avoid ANNKE , some of the parts are made by hikvision I believe, it is better to hardwire the NVR to the router but I have used the TP link plug in WiFi repeaters with the Ethernet port and they have been fine…

Has Hikvision gone downhill of late? or is it just ANNKE are the poor rleative?
I have seen the bans on Hikvision on public / government buildings so are these cameras still good to use?

We use Hik IP and they are fine, the issues with Chinese brands being banned is crazy, that’s more to do with trust and Chinese government ownership. Little information on a domestic that the Chinese government would find overly useful.

Sponsored Links
Avoid the cheaper brands. Not only are they poor quality and less reliable, but one from eBay that I tested was repeatedly 'calling home' to unknown sites in China. Far more than was needed for normal operation, and I suspect it was about collecting personal information for possible scams.
Hikvision does also call home but not very often.

I hesitate to recommend as I am no expert but I just bought a couple of Reolink IP 4K camera's and despite my fumbling they do seem to work although there are subtle differences between the Windows and Apple app software.

Hikvision is only available to the trade but I use a company that will still sell to you directly. I got all my kit from them and they had great support too. PM me for details.
I'd avoid the budget HiLook version. You'll miss out on several features.

How many cameras are you thinking about? You can get a 4 port NVR by Hikvision and then get the cameras you want.
4 Megapixel should be fine. 8 can cause network problems dpeending on your setups and NVR.
For overlooking the driveway / garden then something like 4mm lens will be fine.
For areas that are quite close up such as entrence to front door then a 2.8mm which will offer greater angle of view with shorter distance.

Cat6 external cable run from cameras to your NVR and then one cable from NVR to your internet router to get your notifications.
Most NVR's will need to be hard wired to router.

There are lots of places that sell Hikvision to the public, shop around, some installers do a supply only option and a supply configured option and this can sometimes be cost effective.

Hikvision is only available to the trade but I use a company that will still sell to you directly. I got all my kit from them and they had great support too. PM me for details.
I'd avoid the budget HiLook version. You'll miss out on several features.

How many cameras are you thinking about? You can get a 4 port NVR by Hikvision and then get the cameras you want.
4 Megapixel should be fine. 8 can cause network problems dpeending on your setups and NVR.
For overlooking the driveway / garden then something like 4mm lens will be fine.
For areas that are quite close up such as entrence to front door then a 2.8mm which will offer greater angle of view with shorter distance.

Cat6 external cable run from cameras to your NVR and then one cable from NVR to your internet router to get your notifications.
Most NVR's will need to be hard wired to router.
@Winglet - I have PM'd you

NVR and cameras should be specified for the job its required to do, if your having problems chances are that a component has not been correctly specified.

so if you have 4 x 4MP on an NVR designed for 4 x 2MP you will have problems, most NVRs will specify they can be used upto a certain resolution. Several threads on here mention this.

I hesitate to recommend as I am no expert but I just bought a couple of Reolink IP 4K camera's and despite my fumbling they do seem to work although there are subtle differences between the Windows and Apple app software.
And one of them has just brickwalled after only a few weeks of operation, no support except in Hong Kong, 8 hour time difference so question and answer ping-pongs take two WORKING days. Impressed NOT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back