Rewire lighting circuit advisable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently bought a new flat and I'm wondering whether it'd be a good idea to rewire the lights.

It's an old 1960's council flat, although the wiring seems to have been at least partially replaced since then.

As part of the work, I've all the carpets lifted and much of the internal plasterboard down, as well as the loft stripped back to be re-insulated and floored, so it'd be a good time to do it.

Also, and I'm obviously not an electrician, the light are wired in a way that's unusual (to me). There's a live and earth that circles the switches and a separate neutral and earth that circles the lights.

Essentially this: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/d.../light_ceiling_rose_single_neutral_switch.jpg without the neutrals entering the switch.

I'm wondering it would be recommended to change this while the floorboards etc are accessible?

Sponsored Links
The way your lighting circuit is wired is not unusual to find in older installations, where the neutral circles the house. So it sounds that it is of an age that it is worth considering upgrading the installation. As I will assume that in it's time it will have had many alterations, that could do with improving.
You are in the ideal situation with floors up and walls knocked back to bare, to do this.
The new lighting circuit will require RCD protection, which will lead to the most logical upgrade of the consumer unit and if you are doing that with floors up and walls bare, it would be sensible to look at the condition of your other power circuits (sockets, cooker,shower etc..) as it would be foolish not upgrade these if they are also of an age and have also been altered in the past.
So in summary:
It sounds that your in installation is of an age that it would be considered a re-wire or at least an electrical installation conditional report, to find out what condition it is in, was carried out.
The floors are up the walls are bare, what an ideal opportunity to take advantage of this and completely upgrade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back