Rewiring Lighting in an old flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to fit a new light fitting to our kitchen, but on inspection of the fitting in place (row of 3 spots of which the plastic is broken) the wires supplying the light are black and red, in a black flex (no earth). The new fitting of course requires an earth. I've looked in all the books and everyone says rewiring is required. Trouble is, we're in the middle flat and access to above floorboards is difficult.

Is there a way to rewire lighting without pulling the ceiling down?

Hoping someone can help.

Sponsored Links
romet said:
Is there a way to rewire lighting without pulling the ceiling down?

quote]

nope

not unless you can get access to floor above
the wiring you describe sounds like it is the really old stuff so be careful as it falls apart in your hand the minute you touch it

Cheers for the quick reply.

In the short term I'm thinking of a double insulated light fitting. Are these easy to come by?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Make sure you use plastic switches too....

Black sheathed cables with no earth sounds like VIR cable (rubber insulated), which is now well past its sell by date. How old is the building? Would it be reasonable for the wiring to date back 40-50 years?

If so, then access problems or no, a rewire is probably highly advisible... :confused:

You can rewire without pulling the ceiling down. But it would mean bits of mini trunking flying about everywhere :( Alternatively, the runs to the lights can be run in the direction of the joists, and the wires pulled through wish a "fisher wire"

Get an electrician to have a look at it and see what he says.

The building is 1900 circa, so 40 - 50 year old wiring is probable.

Getting an electrician is becoming more likely,

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back