Fixing lights in Flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've been asked to fit light fittings to the ceiling in afew flats. Some have been solid concrete, some old plaster and others plasterboard.

Before i fix any fittings ill drill a small pilot hole then screrw in with the appropriate fixings. Normally in these flats there's not loft hatch space/attic

How does one rewire ceiling lights to spots, without making holes in the ceiling?

Also does anyone know how each floor level is constructed?,

plasterboard, concrete, insulation, screed?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you are starting to work as an electrician?

track lighting may be your friend if customers want lots of spots.

if you are drilling into ceilings in flats you often need the freeholder's permission.

There's also going to be issues with penetrating sound and fire barriers in flats.

Sponsored Links
How does one rewire ceiling lights to spots, without making holes in the ceiling?
You can't.

Not sure what you are asking - there are many ways to construct buildings and many different materials that can be used.

However for purpose built flats, fitting downlights into the ceiling is usually only possible by overboarding the ceiling with plasterboard, and fitting lights into that. This will lower the ceiling by at least 6 inches, so is not possible in every situation.
Cutting into the ceilings or floors in flats is not an option.

Generally for flats, you have 3 options:
a. Keep the lighting that is there
b. Replace the existing lights with others in the same positions
c. Overboard ceilings and replace the wiring to allow lights to be installed wherever wanted.

Hi All, I've been asked to fit light fittings to the ceiling in afew flats. Some have been solid concrete, some old plaster and others plasterboard.

Before i fix any fittings ill drill a small pilot hole then screrw in with the appropriate fixings. Normally in these flats there's not loft hatch space/attic

Seems to me you shouldn't be working in other peoples homes if you are asking such basic questions.

No offence, if you don't know you don't know, but clearly you're not an electrical apprentice with someone to supervise you, so why should anyone have you round to fit lights?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back