Converting existing light fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be moving to a council flat with concrete wall's and ceilings. I would like some advice on how to go about replacing the ceiling light with wall fittings. What I had in mind was to fix covings to the walls approx. 30cm. under the ceiling and place tube lighting behind it. I hope that then the light would bounce of the ceiling and that the tube will remain hidden from view.
Please give me some points of how to go about this project,

Thanks Mario.

|
|

Sponsored Links
its a good idea in theory as it softens the light, but you should also consider heat generated by the light. Also accesability when you need to change the lamp. (not to mention the dust it will collect)

personally i do not like flourescent lighting (just my opinion)

why not buy a light fitting with adjustable angle lights that you can point upwards to the ceiling (just a thought)

When I was working in Egypt the apartment I was given had exactly the same idea all round the living room and was very restful even though bright as no direct light source in the eye.
They used the same sort of set-up you would use for a fish tank over here, i.e. ballast/control with two wires and the tube(s) just lay behind the coving and the ten (yes ten) 6' tubes were controlled by one light switch(no wonder I had to keep cleaning it out). Don't think that would pass safety regs over here though !!!!
By the way, the coving was a plaster one approx. 6" wide with an 8" gap to ceiling, the lights didnt get warm but the ballasts do , dont use polystyrene !!!
Oh, and pick your tube "colour" carefully, you can get daylight matched tubes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back