Fixings for Ceiling Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not specifically an Electrics question but it felt the most appropriate forum; if it's not, where should I be posting? :)

What do people tend to use for fixing ceiling lights of a moderate weight? Specifically to a standard plasterboard ceiling, not aligned to any joists and no access from above to fit a noggin etc.

Metal toggles seem the best option from what I've looked at so far but with a particularly large or heavy light fitting they seem difficult to fit due to the way they need partially fitting to the light fitting and the whole lot offering up to the holes simultaneously...

I've seen these plastic toggles from Rawlplug which look pretty decent actually though I obviously don't know how strong the thredded bit on the end of the toggle actually is:
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/rawlplug-plastic-toggle-10x35mm-pack-5-528815

Are GripIt fixings any good for ceilings? In fact, are they any good in general?

Is there anything else people would recommend?

Sponsored Links
Not specifically an Electrics question but it felt the most appropriate forum; if it's not, where should I be posting? :)

What do people tend to use for fixing ceiling lights of a moderate weight? Specifically to a standard plasterboard ceiling, not aligned to any joists and no access from above to fit a noggin etc.

Metal toggles seem the best option from what I've looked at so far but with a particularly large or heavy light fitting they seem difficult to fit due to the way they need partially fitting to the light fitting and the whole lot offering up to the holes simultaneously...

I've seen these plastic toggles from Rawlplug which look pretty decent actually though I obviously don't know how strong the thredded bit on the end of the toggle actually is:
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/rawlplug-plastic-toggle-10x35mm-pack-5-528815

Are GripIt fixings any good for ceilings? In fact, are they any good in general?

Is there anything else people would recommend?
What do you mean by "moderate weight"?

Presumably, there is an existing fitting, so, how is it supported and what is its weight - approximately?

It would be somewhat surprising if an existing fitting did not have the wire adjacent to a joist, since the wiring would have been clipped to such a joist during installation unless it was deliberately put between joists, in which case a noggin would/should have been installed.

Cables are often supported by the ceiling when run between joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back