Fitting Fluorescent Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this isn't strictly an electrical question, but couldn't decide whether any other forum was more appropriate.

I'm fitting a new 5ft fluorescent light to a plasterboard ceiling in a kitchen. I'd originally thought that a couple of plastic plasterboard toggle plugs would be suitable however the light is heavier than I anticipated, particularly at one end where the transformer is.

What would you guys recommend fixing the light with?

Sponsored Links
The light fitting doesn't have a great many fixing holes in it, and I'd rather not have to drill it in order to line up with joists :D

My main concern isn't the strength of the plugs but the ability of the plasterboard to support the weight of the light on two relatively small points. Or am I worrying unduly about nothing? :D

A modern fitting should be relativly light, even if it has a wire-wound rather than electronic ballast.... the older fittings were much heaver (and the ballasts ran far hotter!), the self drive fittings should be alright as long as your ceiling is relativly flat, if there is a bit of a curve to it, they can pull out as you try and pull the fitting in. I generally use the hollow wall anchors that you put in with a setting tool ( http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11143...ollow-Wall-Anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm-Pack-of-10 ) when something a bit more heavy duty is required

Drilling extra holes in the fitting to get a joist is not something you should have to feel you should shy away from, as long as you dont drill though anything you shouldn't do then its absolutely ok.... as is running a 20mm holesaw through it, filing and fitting grommet when the cable entry is not where you need it ;)

Sponsored Links
5mm X 75mm long spring toggles with penny washers under the heads.

The holes are in the same places as they have been since the sixties,

It is your cables being put in wrong. ;)

They were 2ft or now 600mm centres as anyone doing conduit would know.

I meant in domestic, if I was changing a pendant to flourescent ;)

Very rare I end up putting one up on conduit... but normally when I do, I find the modern fittings are too narrow to cover the BESA boxes and I end up having to use a couple of lids in there as well...

I meant in domestic, if I was changing a pendant to flourescent ;)

but if you're changing a pendant then the ceiling rose is screwed to the joist with the cables comming down the side of it.. so you've at least one set of screws into wood..

Depends how old the house is. You can still find the original noggin between the joist in a lot of older houses. Did a job last year and they wanted a chandelier in the hallway. Thought "you will be lucky" bedroom above was empty so lifted board and found noggin "piece of cake"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back