Attaching a plastic light fitting to a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to screw my plastic light fitting to a ceiling which is 12mm plasterboard overboarded over old lathe and plaster. I'm not really sure how to go about doing this, and I'm worried about drilling through and hitting the electrics (don't worry power will be turned off, but I'm worried about stripping insulation). I know I can't use rawlplugs, I've got some cone-like plasterboard fixings, but Ican't see them going through lathe. I was considering butterfly fixings.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

James

Sponsored Links
lift the floorboard above and nog between the joists, drill and screw upwards into your noggin

you can move the cables while you are working

If it's light weight you should be able to use some 2 inch long wood screws through the plasterboard and into the lath.

You may be able to calculate where the lath is if the hole in the ceiling is big enough to see.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks sparkwright, I went with that option in the end. Seems firmly fixed enough!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back