M4 spring toggles for CCTV fixing - available anywhere?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a a CCTV IP dome camera that I want to fit onto UPVC soffit.
The camera itself isn't particularly heavy, and it's quite thick soffit - the load isn't really an issue.

The camera has 3 mounting holes that fit an M4 bolt pretty much perfectly, with a small rubber gasket that makes a nice seal. M5 would be too big and M3 a bit small.

Ideally I'd like to fit it with spring toggles - I can actually get to the back of the soffit where it's mounted, so the hole itself would only need to be 4mm-ish and I'd manually but on the spring toggles behind, then tighten at the front. Don't really want to fit any sort of noggin, as toggles would be neater.

Thing is...I can't find any M4 spring toggles anywhere. Well, that's not quite true - there are some in Australia:

http://www.masters.com.au/product/900020338/bremick-spring-toggle-round-head-m4x50mm

M4 seems to be a weird size, at least for spring toggles - anyone know where you can get any in the UK?

Sponsored Links
It it's not heavy and the soffit is fairly thick why not use self tapping screws?

Well, could do, I guess, but I kind of like the neatness of a bolt and toggle. Also seems a bit more secure, and would spread what load there is a bit more.

Could just fix it with M4 bolts, nuts and a large washer, I suppose, although that might be a bit fiddly - I have some access behind, but not loads. Bit surprised that toggles aren't available in M4 more readily...

As said, just use screws or as you wrote nuts and washers.

Spring toggles are rubbish and are pointless if you can access the inside.
Plus they aren't neat which is one of your reasons for using them.

Hollow wall anchors would be better but you need the tool to fit them.

Sponsored Links
Ta all.

Actually ended up using some M3 spring toggles in the end...as it turned out I already had some to try it with :) - only needed 3mm holes for the actual bolts, toggles screwed on mostly from behind and then tightened from the front - more secure than I thought it would be. If the camera ends up going at some point in the future then there won't be much evidence it was there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back