rewiring a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know people aren't keen to give ideas of costs as they need to see the job to get an idea but i am really looking for the roughest ball park figure here.

Have a 3 bedroom semi which was not wired since 1950.

Needs completely rewired/ comsumer unit/ sitches/ plugs/ ceiling roses.

Can some give me a rough idea of what i am looking at to get a pro in...

thanks for any help here.

please note forum rule 9, it is there for a reason

Sponsored Links
the price will vary hugely by locality but before you get your quotes decide what you wan't. That way all the electricians will be quoting for the same thing.

here are the things you should be considering.

1: RCD protection arrangement, split load is the norm for cost reasons but RCBOs mean less loses power if there is a fault.
2: any dedicated circuits you wan't: If you keep anything valuable in the freezer when you are away spec a dedicated non-rcd circuit for it, you may want to consider the same for computer equipment.
3: wiring, surface clipped will be cheapest but look sh1t. burried directly will look fine but difficult to change later, burried conduit is the best option but will cost more.
4: are you prepared to do the donkey work like digging out chases and making good afterwards?
5: how many sockets do you wan't and where?
6: any large fixed appliances (cookers and showers mainly)
7: anything else you wan't like wall lights or lamps controlled from lightswitches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back