Rewiring in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Newbie here so I apologise in advance if the answer to this is simple....
We're planning to rewire our house and I am at the (early) stage of drawing up each individual circuits. My query is with the kitchen sockets circuit - I have seen examples of where this is placed under the RCD section of the CU. Should a fault occur and the electricity is switched off, this would leave you without power to the fidge freezer. Should this circuit be placed under the non-RCD part of the CU?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If you have capacity, put a socket on its own 20A radial on the non-rcd side of the CU, for the fridge freezer. Or spur from an adequate non-protected circuit (upstairs ring main?)

In terms of what circuits to have, the items on the list below may not all apply to you, but they are worth looking at to get you thinking:

1. Upstairs sockets
  2. Downstairs sockets
  3. Kitchen sockets
  4. Circuit for appliances
  5. Cooker circuit
  6. Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  7. Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  8. Dedicated circuit for hifi
  9. Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  10. Upstairs lights
  11. Downstairs lights
  12. Loft lights
  13. Immersion heater
  14. Shower
  15. Alarm
  16. Supply for outside lights
  17. Supply for garden electrics
  18. Supply for shed/garage
Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction - e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the rest of the sockets are, I have a radial just for one socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

Plus a few spares on RCD & non-RCD sides for expansion beyond that for future unforeseen needs.

.....and in an ideal world a loft light circuit.

Feeding the loft light from the upstairs lighting circuit is all well and good until you either a have fault or you want to make alterations to the upstairs lighting then it’s back to a torch. If you cant get a separate cct your better off feeding it from the ground floor lighting

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
.....and in an ideal world a loft light circuit.

Feeding the loft light from the upstairs lighting circuit is all well and good until you want to make alterations to the upstairs lighting then it’s back to a torch.
That's a good idea - I'll change my list.

If you cant get a separate cct your better off feeding it from the ground floor lighting
But not both, as in my case.

Ouch.

:oops:

But now there are 18, you'll struggle to find a split board big enough without using MKs stacking kits or similar, or just sticking two split load boards next to each other fed from a common isolator

Though I'd be tempted to use a non split with RCBOs, but that would eat into the budget a fair way

Maybe its time for a new thread "designing the prefect electricial system" :)

Adam_151 said:
But now there are 18, you'll struggle to find a split board big enough without using MKs stacking kits or similar, or just sticking two split load boards next to each other fed from a common isolator
newcu7xy.jpg

Pensdown said:
Do I detect a diverse loft lighting installation? :LOL:
No - borrowed neutral.

Adam_151 said:
You dont want 2 split load boards. Use one board with a main switch (OR appropriate time delay RCD in the case of a TT system) as the incomer. And the other board would have a 30mA RCD as the incomer. This could give you a lot to room to work inside the boxes too, and a lot of redundancy.

Alternatively, get a 3 phase board with a single phase converter and a bunch of RCBOs. Very expensive option.

A Memera 2000 AS14014HED should be ample.

(14 ways through isolator 14 through RCD. Though personally I would prefer the RCBOs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back