Rewiring previous switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a rewire, a new attic lighting switch was fitted in the attic. The previous switch was on the ceiling outside the attic hatch.
I have one dead cable running from the original switch, how do I wire it into the new switch, so that I don't need a torch to use the new switch.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to use the switch on the ceiling outside the attic hatch, why did you bother to have a switch installed in the attic?

If you use the switch outside to turn the light on, will you then use the switch inside the loft to turn it off?

When will you ever use the new one you had put in?

Two new switches both two way, the marking on switches could be com, L1, L2 or L1, L2, L3 I will assume com, L1, L2 but if the other then you will need to transpose. The old switch will be wired com, L1 the new switch will be L1 and L2 com will to start with be empty and the switch will not work, then you need three and earth between the two switches and the three wires go like to like, it does not matter what colour as long as like to like. Now both switches will switch light on and off.

This
two-way-real.bmp
is the circuit diagram.

Two new switches both two way, the marking on switches could be com, L1, L2 or L1, L2, L3 I will assume com, L1, L2 but if the other then you will need to transpose. The old switch will be wired com, L1 the new switch will be L1 and L2 com will to start with be empty and the switch will not work, then you need three and earth between the two switches and the three wires go like to like, it does not matter what colour as long as like to like. Now both switches will switch light on and off.

This
two-way-real.bmp
is the circuit diagram.

Can't help thinking this may be overkill for a loft hatch!

Sponsored Links
MAKE SURE THE POWER IS FULLY ISOLATED BEFORE YOU START WORK.

Run a twin and earth cable between the switches.

At the switch in the loft, put one new insulated wire in a 6 amp connector block to the wire(s) that went in one side of the switch in the loft.

Put the other new insulated wire in a 6 amp connector block to the wire(s) that went to the other side of the switch in the loft.

Sleeve the bare earth wire with green and yellow sleeving and connect with the other earth wires.

Discard the switch and fit a blanking plate over the box.

Outside the loft, put one new insulated wire in one side of the switch, the other insulated wire to the other side of the switch.

Sleeve the bare earth wire and connect to the earth terminal.

If you are going to use the switch on the ceiling outside the attic hatch, why did you bother to have a switch installed in the attic?

If you use the switch outside to turn the light on, will you then use the switch inside the loft to turn it off?

When will you ever use the new one you had put in?
I asked them to put a second light in and they totally rewired it. Didn't notice until too late. Only need one switch,preferably outside the loft.

Ah - OK - your post read as if the new switch was a planned change.

What cable(s) are there at the old switch and where does/do it/they run between?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back